Re: Sendmail fixkit (/ in addresses)

David Brownlee (D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk)
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 11:09:20 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 27 Feb 1995, Christian Wettergren wrote:

> | I haven't looked at the fixkit myself yet, but if it disallows '/' in
> | addresses, it's going to cause problems with more than X.400.  For
> | example, the increasingly-popular Lotus SMTP gateway for Lotus Notes puts
> | slashes into addresses of users with hierarchical certifiers, eg
> |
> | Joe_User/Sales/Acme/US.acmeinc@notes.gateway
>
> Wouldn't if suffice to disallow a slash at the beginning of an
> address?

	Not for your gatewayed X.400 addresses:
	"/I=DK/S=Brownlee/O=city/PRMD=UK.AC/ADMD= /C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk"

	Oh BTW, X.400 addresses can also have spaces & '(' ')' in them, along
	with god knows what other crap.

	Ob quote (Source unknown):

	Two people exchange business cards: If they both had internet
	addresses they mail each other, if one had an X.400 address & the
	other an internet address the X.400 one waits for the other to
	mail first, if they both had X.400 addresses... they phone.

			David

  D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME).  Network Analyst  {post,host}master  abs.
              (>=-=<)   Telephone: (+44) 171 477 8186.   (>=-=<)
  Computing Services, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
      / Monochrome - biggest UK internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk \